Odds on College Basketball lines including NCAA Tournament. As we continue the steady march towards march madness and the premier NCAA top basketball tournament, the NCAA odds keep changing on a daily basis and since we are but a few weeks away from the dance, very few favorites have emerged and some of the early season favorites like Ohio state have fallen off the top 25 lists completely.
The traditional powerhouse conferences have a tough time going at it this year and we might just see a new cinderella emerge in this seasons’ tournament. So let us look at things as they stand with the AP poll top 25 as of today Feb 6th, 2020.
AP Poll Top 25 college basketball rankings
|4||San Diego State||23-0||1447||4|
Others receiving votes: Texas Tech 66, Marquette 31, Ohio State 19, Tulsa 19, Rhode Island 18, Northern Iowa 17, Wichita State 17, BYU 14, Rutgers 12, Stanford 7, Stephen F. Austin 3, Yale 1, Winthrop 1, Michigan 1, Virginia 1, Bowling Green 1.
For 2 weeks in a row number 1-4 has remained the same but Florida state tumbled from the 5th spot after their third loss of the season to an unranked Virginia Mountaineer team.
The big winner was Maryland who moved up 6 spots from 15 to 9 after their 5th straight win exclaimed by a 10 point win over a decent and 17th ranked Iowa Hawkeyes team.
There are four 3 loss teams and two four-loss teams in the top 10 including powerhouses Kansas, Louisville, and Duke. While Duke seems to be righting themselves after that horrible start to the season, odds are against the other guys being top seeds in the tournament that’s for sure.
Odds on College Basketball lines
The unpredictability of the 2020 season makes it for a volatile roller coaster ride when picking NCAA odds and the best money lines but fear not we are here to help. We provide complete and live odds for every tournament game including the NCAA top games with the aim of marching all the way to the final 4. The best part of this is that it is all available free of charge to you.
College Basketball point spreads
In order to win the NCAA basketball betting game you have to play the spread, this is the most exciting and easy to win wagers because one can use available data to predict the outcome.
For example one of the top upcoming games in the college basketball scene is number 8 ranked Florida State Seminoles welcoming the 7th ranked Duke Blue Devils on the 11th of February 2020. Below are the current in-season stats for both teams.
While both teams have identical records, Duke scores more points on average than FSU and the difference is a whopping 8 points per game more and that is not the only stat line, that’s better, they are better at scoring, (check the field goal %), Rebounding and blocked shots. The only part of their game that FSU is better is stealing and that leads to more scoring opportunities which they will need in this game.
A quick perusal should tell you which team should win this game, and to find a bookie that offers the most point spreads should be the best alternative if one is looking to bet on the spreads in this game. As a general rule of the thumb, the NCAA game is very different from the NBA game in that rarely does any game go past the century mark so betting the under if it’s below 175 is always advisable.
Types of College Basketball betting lines
What are the most common types of college basketball betting lines?
- Futures college basketball betting
- Straight up college basketball betting or MoneyLine
- The NCAA Basketball Point Spreads
- Props betting
- In-Game live bets
What are the most common Let’s take a quick look at the most common college basketball betting lines for any given game because these will determine if a wager is worth the risk or not and if a bettor should risk their funds on a particular bet or not?
- Futures college basketball betting – Future betting is always the first choice but it is also the riskiest since it is usually done at the beginning of the season with very little data to go on, for example, Ohio State was ranked number 1 in the early days of the season but have now fallen off the radar a bet on them to even make the tournament sure seems risky now don’t you think?
- Straight up college basketball betting or MoneyLine – Straight up betting is simply wagering on the winner as in our Duke example above, our straight-up, Moneyline bet would be on Duke winning that game.
- The NCAA Basketball Point Spreads – We have touched a bit on point spreads earlier and there are two common strategies of point spread bets in college basketball. There is betting the spread and betting against the spread. bookmakers will give a spread which in this example would be how many points will duke win by or FSU loses by and vice versa so if the spread is Duke winning by 5.5 points then one can wager on the spread coming true with that outcome or against that spread with it not coming true. A bet against the spread means the expected outcome might be a duke win with more than 5.5 points or FSU losing by a bigger margin.
- Parlays – Parlays are popular since they combine many different scenarios for a win to happen, they offer the opportunity of a small investment with huge payoffs for the bettor which is why they are well-liked.
- Teasers – Teasers allow one to buy points off a spread which increases the odds of winning the NCAA basketball points spreads wager, the only caveat with a teaser is one has to bet on two teams. This helps the bookmaker mitigate the risk.
- Props betting – College basketball props betting allows one to bet on random events, things that cannot be planned for or rarely occur like in our example above, Duke coach K being ejected from the game. it rarely happens but if one is brave enough, when the bet hits, it can be lucrative because odds are usually pretty high.
- In-Game live bets – These are wagers on the outcomes that happen before a game is officially over, for example, the winner at half time or the points total at half time and such.
How to read the odds on college basketball lines
|Opening Line||Providence +6|
|Opening Moneyline||Prov +226/Creighton -254|
Your standard college basketball lines will look like this pregame with the opening line, money line and opening over/under odds which gives a bettor an opportunity to make their bets based on those odds. The above is a game between Providence and Crighton.
Odds on NCAA basketball lines for March Madness
Even in the middle of the season, this would be considered futures bet especially since most of the traditional powerhouses as stated earlier are shocked and struggled out of the gate so any current odds on the NCAA basketball tournament should be taken as such.
Below are the current projected odds of winning the tournament.
ODDS TO WIN 2020 NCAA MEN’S TOURNAMENT (4/6/20)
|Duke Blue Devils||7/1|
|Michigan State Spartans||16/1|
|West Virginia Mountaineers||16/1|
|Seton Hall Pirates||18/1|
|San Diego State Aztecs||20/1|
|Florida State Seminoles||40/1|
|Ohio State Buckeyes||40/1|
|Illinois Fighting Illini||60/1|
|Texas Tech Red Raiders||60/1|
|Marquette Golden Eagles||80/1|
|Penn State Nittany Lions||80/1|
|Alabama Crimson Tide||100/1|
|Minnesota Golden Gophers||100/1|
|Mississippi State Bulldogs||100/1|
|North Carolina Tar Heels||100/1|
|North Carolina State Wolfpack||100/1|
|Notre Dame Fighting Irish||100/1|
|Rutgers Scarlet Knights||100/1|
|St. Mary’s Gaels||100/1|
|Wichita State Shockers||100/1|